Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Time to Reflect - Part 1


1. Take some time to think about your topic. Now write down what you know about it.   
Inquiry-based learning is a form of learning that encourages students to undertake their own journey with levels of facilitation and guidance from the teacher. I think about Inquiry-based learning as starting off with training wheels for the younger students and modeling to them what inquiry is all about and as they develop these skills, the teacher is able to remove these training wheels and move from a guided inquiry approach to a much more independent inquiry approach with the students structuring their own questions to be explored.
2. How interested are you in this topic?  Circle the answer that best matches your interest.  
Not at all      not much     quite a bit   a great deal   
3. How much do you know about this topic?   Circle the answer that best matches how much you know.
Nothing      not much     quite a bit   a great deal   
4. When you do research, what do you generally find easy to do? Please list as many things as you like.
Reading and highlighting texts - I find I have to highlight and take notes when reading otherwise the information does not sink in, I enjoy reading from a text as opposed to a screen. I enjoy discussing the task with others to gain understanding and develop my interest and I enjoy working with a team on a research project. I find it easy to select the key points from texts and am able to speed read when looking for information.
5.  When you do research, what do you generally find difficult to do? Please list as many things as you like.
I find it difficult to start tasks and I can procrastinate in the beginning until I have a complete/whole understanding of the task at hand. I find it difficult to complete drafts on the computer, I need to hand write my assignments in draft form, before transferring to the computer. It is much easier for me to read on paper than it is on a screen. This often means it takes me longer to complete my tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment